Tuesday, October 2, 2018

My Re-Done tarot table

-

It's only been the past month or month and a half that I've made this earnest commitment to learning tarot. As you can see, I've bought a lot of decks and books! There are so many beautiful decks, it was hard to chose just one or two. I canceled my daily newspaper delivery and the money saved  was used to invest in these decks and learning materials. I think I've made a wise choice. Reading the news was so depressing lately and I mainly got the paper just to do the crossword puzzle. I decided that learning to read Tarot cards would be time better spent for keeping my mind active as well as adding a spiritual aspect that the morning paper didn't fill.

During this past month or so,  I've watched a lot of readers on You Tube daily, and saw many of the deck reviews on there as well. So many beautiful decks and so hard to decide, so I jumped in, made the big commitment, and bought a lot of decks, as you can see. Some  were purchased because it looked like they may not be available much longer. One deck, Touchstone Tarot was said to already we out of print, but with some keep looking I actually found a source that still had some at the original price. I already had purchased the Golden Tarot which is by the same artist and an equally beautiful deck Some decks were purchase new and some have been previously owned
All the decks were smudged when received and prepared for use.

Years ago, I bought a Rider Waite deck, which I thought was the only one I owned. At that time I was very heavily into daily meditation, yoga, and other spiritual studies, including spending two weeks or a more a month studying at an ashram. So the tarot something I tried a couple of times, but just couldn't fit into already very busy life and schedule at the time.

Tonight when I was going through some drawers in my meditation room, I found a deck of Egyptian Tarot cards. I don't even remember buying those, but I assume I've had them for many years since there's a store label from Los Angeles on the box, and I haven't lived in California since the late 80's. I've always felt a strong connection to Egypt which is why I probably bought them, but I don't think I ever really looked at them very closely till tonight.

I just set up this table two nights ago on a small 2X4 foot folding table; but it was a too small for all the decks, books and other sacred items I wanted on the table, so while I was in town today I went to my local lumber yard and got them to cut me a piece of 1/2" plywood that  was 9 inches wider  and  2 inches  deeper than the original table and it's made a huge difference. Everything fits better now without looking as tight as it did before.

I'm not planning on being a collector of decks, so the current decks will serve me well. At almost 79 it's a bit late for me to be starting to learn tarot, but better late than never. My daughter is on a spiritual path that mirrors my own in many ways, and she will eventually own these decks as well as all my crystals and other sacred items. In the meantime, I will work with the cards daily and see where it takes me.

I haven't worked very much with the cards themselves while I've been buying them and the books. I've been watching a lot of readers on you tube, reading books from the library and some I've purchased, and making charts for myself on the keywords of the Major and Minor Arcanas, and making notes on various spreads and trying some of the smaller spreads. Taking that time to do this is slowly getting me familiar with the cards.

It's only the past two days that I've actually spent more time doing several layouts a day. My garden still needs to be put to bed so that is taking time from my day right now. I need to spend a lot more time studying but meantime I will rely on the charts I've made to help me interpret the cards and hopefully my own instincts will kick in, in time, making reading the cards a bit easier and smoother.


.


1 comment:

My newly re-arrange Tarot table top

I re-arranged my Tarot table after receiving my ebay purchase of a bras stand, that I wanted to use to hold a pillar candle. You can see th...